Monday, November 28, 2011

1st Post Ever

So I'm super excited that this is my 1st post ever on my 1st blog. So just for the occasion and to break the ice I decided to recreate one of my favorite dishes from Chef Gordon Ramsay's show "The F Word" which airs on BBC America. Which makes it ok for me to say..."I f***ing LOVE him!"

On Chef Ramsay's show he does quick recipe segments. One of my favorites is when he prepares escalopes of chicken. Escalopes are pieces of meat that have been thinned out by using a mallet or by butterflying the meat. Escalopes are often popular for cooking quick dishes because the meat takes less time to cook through when thinned out.

The recipe that follows is my own version based on Ramsay's instructions. I tweeked it a bit based on items in my own pantry. For instance, I use Italian seasoned bread crumbs verses panko. I also used a rolling pin to thin the chicken whereas he butterflied his. Because I ran out of fresh basil, I substituted with dried basil. Additionally, I served the escalopes with reheated green beans from Thanksgiving.



Escalopes of Chicken Recipe


2 boneless, skinless chicken breast
1/2 cup of flour
1 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
2 eggs (beaten)
1/2 pint of cherry tomatoes
2 - 3 Tbls of Olive Oil
2 teaspoons minced garlic
4 slices of FRESH mozzarella
fresh or dried basil leaves
salt and pepper

Directions:
*Preheat oven to 350 degrees F


  1.  Place chicken breast in a gallon sized freezer bag. Squeeze out extra air and seal tightly. With a rolling pin or heavy skillet, beat chicken until thinned out to about 1/2" thickness. 
  2. Heat oil in skillet at medium heat. 
  3. Meanwhile, on a plate, season flour lightly with salt and pepper. 
  4. Flour chicken and dust off excess flour.  Dip floured chicken into beaten egg and then coat chicken with breadcrumbs. 
  5. Cook chicken breasts in oil until browned, about 2 minutes. Turn and cook other side for additional minute until browned. Place chicken on a baking sheet. 
  6. In light oil saute tomatoes, garlic, and basil for 1 minute. Salt and pepper to taste. 
  7. Top chicken with tomatoes mixture and sliced mozzarella. Bake in oven for 8 - 10 minutes until chicken reaches internal temperature of 165degrees.




3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore this! I also will say I am extremely excited to watch and read you're bloggings and adventures. This blog post alone made me remember the smell of being your neighbor and made me feel a little closer to my all time best and favorite neighbor. Love you Benny Bopper (As Christian would say)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Danny! My next blog is dedicated to you...so be on the look out. Hint: It's includes a dish I used to make for you in WV :)

    ReplyDelete